- ▪ I. multinational mul‧ti‧na‧tion‧al 1 [ˌmʌltɪˈnæʆnəl◂] adjective1. COMMERCE ORGANIZATIONS a multinational organization has offices, factories, activities etc in many different countries:
• Big multinational companies can earn huge profits.
• a multinational concern based in Vienna
• the rules for dealing with multinational banks2. COMMERCE involving companies or people from several different countries:
• His access to world oil markets has been closed by a multinational embargo.[m0] ▪ II. multinational multinational 2 noun [countable] COMMERCE ORGANIZATIONSa large company that has offices, factories, and business activities in many different countries:
• It can be very hard to compete with the multinationals.
• a marketing manager with a major Dutch multinational
* * *A publicly-owned company that operates commercially in a number of countries outside its own base. Usually its activities in each country encompass all aspects of production of its goods or services. Such companies are often listed on more than one stock exchange or have shares available via depositary receipts.► See also ADR.
* * *Ⅰ.multinational UK US /ˌmʌltiˈnæʃənəl/ noun [C] (also multinational company, also multinational corporation) COMMERCE► a very large company that has offices, stores, etc. in many different countries but that is controlled from the country where it was started. A company with a quarter or more of its sales in other countries is considered to be a multinational: »
If multinationals become more important than governments, they can act as major forces of economic change.»
a big/large/leading multinationalⅡ.multinational UK US /ˌmʌltiˈnæʃənəl/ adjective► COMMERCE a multinational organization is very large and has offices, stores, etc. in many diffferent countries: »
Over the years the firm has grown into a multinational organization with more than 200 affiliates in 17 countries.»
a multinational business/bank/enterprise► relating to or involving several different countries: »
The joint venture will be undertaken by a multinational group of 41 countries.»
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
multinational — multinational, ale, aux [ myltinasjɔnal, o ] adj. • 1928; de multi et national 1 ♦ Polit. Qui concerne, englobe plusieurs pays. Une politique de défense multinationale. 2 ♦ Écon. Qui a des activités, est implanté dans plusieurs pays. Une firme,… … Encyclopédie Universelle
multinaţional — MULTINAŢIONÁL, Ă, multinaţionali, e, adj. (Despre state) În care trăiesc mai multe naţiuni; (despre acţiuni) la care participă mai multe naţiuni. [pr.: ţi o ] – Din fr. multinaţional. Trimis de ana zecheru, 26.05.2004. Sursa: DEX 98 … … Dicționar Român
multinational — (adj.) also multi national, by 1921, from MULTI (Cf. multi ) + NATIONAL (Cf. national). Originally with reference to states; later (by 1960) to corporations and organizations. As a noun, short for multinational corporation, attested by 1971 … Etymology dictionary
multinational — [mul΄tinash′ə nəl] adj. 1. of or involving a number of nations 2. designating a corporation with branches in a number of countries 3. comprising persons of various nationalities n. a multinational corporation … English World dictionary
multinational — [adj] international continental, global, intercontinental, multicultural, universal, worldwide; concepts 536,772 … New thesaurus
multinational — Adj. (Mittelstufe) mehrere Nationen betreffend Beispiel: Die Unternehmen haben einen multinationalen Konzern gebildet … Extremes Deutsch
multinational — ► ADJECTIVE 1) including or involving several countries or nationalities. 2) operating in several countries. ► NOUN ▪ a company operating in several countries. DERIVATIVES multinationally adverb … English terms dictionary
multinational — [[t]mʌ̱ltinæ̱ʃən(ə)l[/t]] multinationals also multi national 1) ADJ: usu ADJ n A multinational company has branches or owns companies in many different countries. N COUNT Multinational is also a noun. ...multinationals such as Ford and IBM. 2)… … English dictionary
multinational — I UK [ˌmʌltɪˈnæʃ(ə)nəl] / US [ˌmʌltɪˈnæʃən(ə)l] / US [ˌmʌltaɪˈnæʃən(ə)l] adjective * 1) business a multinational company or business has offices, shops, or factories in several countries 2) involving people from many different countries,… … English dictionary
multinational — adjective Date: 1926 1. of or relating to more than two nationalities < a multinational society > 2. a. of, relating to, or involving more than two nations < a multinational alliance > b. having divisions in more than two countries < a… … New Collegiate Dictionary